During 2013 the Long Preston Heritage group worked with Alison Armstrong, a Vernacular Buildings Specialist, to interpret the results of tree-
Samples were taken from two local barns which had a quantity of re-
Preliminary results had shown that a cruck timber from a Bolton Priory barn in Long Preston was felled in 1527. This barn was heightened and widened in 1708 ( beam inscription). At Lower Winskill the timbers proved more complex with felling dates of c1500 anfd 1560 for cruck timber with non-
This important work gives the first local chronologies in the Dales for re-
On Thursday 23 January 2014, Allison Armstrong and Tom Lord of Lower Winskill Farm
gave a talk in Long Preston Village Hall -
at which the results from the dendro-
In summary the results showed that:
* we now have the first dates for such timber in Craven
* the dates include monastic times, pre 1539
* the chronologies obtained will enable more successful tree-
* the results answer the question about what was here before the great rebuilding in stone. Building historians have long noted raised roof lines from thatched buildings of probable 16th century date
* the project also involved local school children investigating their local area.
Recording of the talks and subsequent discussion.
Part A: Talk by Allison Armstrong.
Part B: Talk by Tom Lord
of Lower Winskill Farm.
Part C: Question and Answer Session.
To hear these recordings:
click on the Play button in the player.
The controls are the usual:
The talk is presented in three parts
as detailed on the left. Select a Part by clicking on it in the play list, that appears below the controls.
You can also click on the time bar to go forward
or backward in the current part of the recording.
Hover over the icons for start/stop etc.
The Monks & Beams Project was concluded with the
Slide show is loading